|About the museum:
The Archaeological Museum in Split, the oldest museum establishment in Croatia, was founded in 1820 as a result of a decree of the government of Dalmatia in Zadar. The founding was prompted by the visit to Dalmatia of Emperor Franz I in 1818, when he visited Split and the monuments of Salona/Solin. The first building of the museum was put up in 1821 alongside the eastern walls of Diocletian’s Palace, but it soon became too small for the increasing number of monuments. A new era in the development of Croatian archaeology was marked by the work of Don Frane Bulić, director of the museum from 1884. Don Frane Bulić (Vranjic, 1846 – Zagreb, 1934), Catholic priest, archaeologist, historian and conservator, worked for more than 50 years exploring the field, writing and doing conservation. He was the founder of the Croatian archaeological association called Bihać, founded in Split in 1894. He is also to be credited with the building of the current home of the Archaeology Museum in Split, erected in 1914 according to plans by Viennese architects Kirstein and Ohman. The architectural complex consists of the main building with exhibition hall in the ground floor and library and study offices on the first floor, a lapidarium and a well arranged garden. The museum carries out regular archaeological research at three sites – Salona, Narona and Issa, and also has a branch in Solin – Tusculum – and the Issa Archaeological Collection in Vis. The collections hold about 150,000 archaeological objects (from prehistory, the Roman and Early Christian periods, and from the Early Middle Ages and the age of the Croatian royal dynasty). There is a very valuable collection of stone inscriptions from Salona (about 6,000), a collection of Hellenistic ceramics, Roman glass, ancient clay lamps (about 1600 items) objects of bone, of metal, and the country’s biggest gemstone collection. The museum looks after a large collection of coins from Antiquity and the medieval period (more than 70,000 items) and also has major library and archival holdings. The new permanent display in the renovated museum was opened on December 18, 2000.