|About the museum:
The museum was founded in 1910, and has been housed in the Arsan palace (early 16th c.), a remarkable Gothic-Renaissance edifice built by Bishop Antun Marcello Petris, since 1973. The palace stands out because of its exterior Gothic and Renaissance architectural sculpture, while its interior has a Renaissance toilet situated in the bedroom of its former owner.
Famous Renaissance philosopher Frane Petrić was born in the palace, and his statue stands in front of the museum.
The archaeological collection holds the material remains of life on the island from prehistoric times to the Late Middle Ages.
The ethnographic collection holds items of everyday use, agricultural and fishing tools, and local folk costume from the 18th to the 20th centuries.
Cultural and historical holdings include furniture, paintings, items of everyday use, weapons, and liturgical accessories created in the period from the 18th to the 20th centuries, as well as medals, plaques, and coats of arms from the island of Cres, some of which date back to the 16th century.
The numismatic collection contains coins from the 2nd to the 20th centuries.
The most extensive are the collections of books and printed material from the legacy of the Buničić, Koljevina, and Moise families, from the 16th through the 20th centuries.