|About the museum:
The Museum of the Đakovo Region was opened in December, 1951. At the beginning it was quartered in an Art Nouveau building with an area of only 208 square metres. The first display was mounted here, in 1952, which included the most important and attractive objects from the archaeological, ethnographic and cultural history collections. At the end of the 1960s the museum moved to part of the two storey building that Bishop Strossmayer had built in 1857 for the accommodation of Bosnian Franciscans. After performance of the most necessary repairs to the building, in 1970 the permanent display was opened, in four rooms, and only three years later this was doubled. Exhibitions were organised, the number of objects in the individual collections was enlarged, and some of the museum employees took part in the important cultural events in the city. In this period the museum launched a set of publications called Library of the Museum of the Đakovo Region, in which several titles have been published. In 2002 the Museum moved again to the former District Building, built at the end of the 19th century, and is still there. The interior of the museum building is divided into working rooms, depots, exhibition space for the permanent display and a multi-purpose hall that is the centre of all events in the museum – exhibitions, workshops, book presentations, concerts and lectures. The building is set in the midst of a large courtyard, which has not been arranged or given any particular meaning, and yet this must be a good potential for future even more diverse features.