|About the museum:
The Dubrovnik Museums were established on February 5, 1872, as Patriotic Museum, at the urging and prompting of the Chamber of Commerce and its chairman Antun Drobac (1810-1882), pharmacist, natural historian and collector of naturalia. Drobac became lifetime president and the first curator of this fourth ever museum in Croatia. The museum was located on the first floor of the building of the commune, and was opened to the public in April 1873. Its nucleus consisted of a fine natural history collection along with which there were soon cultural, historical and archaeological sections, as well as one related to folk handicrafts. In 1932 these collections moved to Fort St John (Sv. Ivan), and in 1940 a part (the lapidarium and the ethnological collection) were located in Rupe, the former granary. The culture history collection (a later section) was moved in 1948 into the Rector’s Palace. The first inventory was made systematically in 1882; in February, 1940 the museum obtained its first statutes. Today the Dubrovnik Museums, a regional and local establishment, comprise five museums or organisational units: the Cultural History Museum, Maritime Museum, Archaeological Museum and the Contemporary History Museum, all of them coordinated by a joint management. Their ample holdings are on show in 3 buildings (Rector’s Palace, Fort St John and Rupe Granary). Neither the Archaeology not the Contemporary History museum has a building or premises for a permanent display of its holdings.