|About the museum:
The Gallery of Fine Arts was opened in 1931 as the Gallery of Fine Arts of the Coastal Banovina. It was then located in the building at Lovretska 11, and at the opening 300 pieces were shown, from the 500 that had been assembled. During the seventy subsequent years the holdings have been enriched with purchases, donations and bequests, a particularly important legacy being that of Dr Ivo Tartaglia, which brought the gallery more than 300 artworks. Today the holdings consist of a specific, diverse and very interesting whole. The more than 3,400 works of art cover the period since the 14th century, giving a review of all the most significant artistic phenomena and trends in the region. In the older artworks section, works of Paolo Veneziano stand out, after which there are works of Andrija Aleši, Andrija Medulić, Girolamo Brusaferro, and a fine icon collection. In the collections of modern and contemporary art, in terms of number of quality, the works of Vlaho Bukovac, Emanuel Vidović, Mate Celestin Medovic, Juraj Plančić, Marino Tartaglia and Ivan Meštrović are particularly to the fore. The art of the 20th century is represented by the very valuable works of Ivo Dulčić, Antun Masle, Slavko Kopač, Branko Ružić, Kosta Angeli Radovani and Đuro Seder, for example. Since its foundation, the gallery has had a very lively exhibiting activity. Apart from exhibitions of works from the gallery’s own holdings, in which outstandingly interesting oeuvres and units are studied and presented to the public (Vidović, Medović, Uvodić, Katunarić and others), there is also ongoing work on the presentation of works by contemporary Croatian artists (Martinis, Žuvela, Sokić, Petercol, Ivančić, Faktor, Rakoci, Trbuljak, for example). Since 2000 there has been a cycle of exhibitions of young authors, in an effort to give a review of events in this area of the art scene in Croatia. There is also a restoration workshop that belongs to the gallery, its work being channelled to the conservation and restoration of works from the collections, thus enabling them to be presented to the public. The gallery possesses a library that is partially open to readers, and it has 14,000 titles. Since 1931 the gallery has been housed in the originally intended leased building in Lovretska Street, in which it has worked at least partially to this day, but which has poor museological conditions. The old idea about location the Fine Arts Gallery in the premises of the Old Hospital was brought up again in 1991, after the Museum of the Revolution was closed down. In 2001 the Split municipal authority adopted a decision to allot the Old Hospital to the Gallery of Fine Arts. Plans for conversion and extension of the building have been made, and the works are now in progress.