|About the museum:
On December 18, 1904, the city councillors of Karlovac passed a decision to found a municipal museum in order, as they said at the time, for the memories and antiquities of the city to be preserved. But it was only on July 12, 1911 that a museum committee of fifteen members was appointed; the committee sent out an appeal to the citizens for help in the collection of items, and the museum was lent a single room in the Magistrat – the city council chamber in reality – for interim use. Among the first objects given to the museum were guild-related objects; the Mijo Balaš Numismatic Collection, the Collection of Janko Mikić, who took part in the Congo expedition; the archives of the Illyrian reading room; various items of Hugo and Melkior Lukšić (a velocipede, wooden bicycle) and so on. During World War I, all the museum material was stored in the attic of the council hall, and the activity of the museum declined steeply and, in spite of certain initiatives, was not reinstituted until the end of World War II. On July 1945 the Gallery was founded, run by the painters Nikola Dragarić and Branko Kozina; the first real museal and expertly conceived work was started by Ivana Vrbanić in 1952. The next year the museum was allocated the building on Strossmayerov trg that it occupies today. (A building from the first half of the 17th century, built on orders of the general of Karlovac Vuk Krsto Fankopan, it is today the oldest extant specimen of residential architecture of the type curia – manor – put up within the fortress of Karlovac and is categorised as a cultural monument of great value.) In this Baroque urban palace the permanent museum display is on show, opened in 1996, as a renovated version of the 1990 display. The items on show tell of the flora and fauna of the Karlovac region, with an emphasis on ecological problems; they show the archaeological features of the environment; illustrate the traditional way of life in the countryside, and mostly show the history of the city from the founding of Karlovac fort to its development as centre of the Military Frontier to the 19th century commercial and transportation junction and cultural centre of a wider region. The museum has a rich collection of more than 8,000 objects.