|About the museum:
The Korčula Municipal Museum is located in the Gabrielis Palace, a fine example of the residential architecture of the 15th-16th centuries, put up on the central square of the old city nucleus, which it graces with its decorative stone elevation decorated with balconies and the coats of arms of the Gabrielis family. A stroll through the exhibition rooms of the museum, which is one of a kind in the area, provides a feeling of the cultural and economic past of Korčula ever since prehistoric times. The museum collections vividly present the traditional trades, stone carving and ship building, from which the Korčula people of old lived – along with trade and seafaring. The objects used in the past in the houses of Korčula give an insight into the culture of the quotidian. The most valuable museum exhibits tell of the knowledge of the contemporary artistic achievements in Europe. Particularly interesting is a bronze knocker of Tiziano Aspetti, and a piano of 1819 once played by the lady friend of Beethoven Edit Streicher. A visit to the old fashioned kitchen in the attic of the museum is an unforgettable peek into the past. A replica of a page of the city’s and Korčula island’s Statutes of 1214, visual depictions of the city, the municipal flag, seals, stone inscriptions, documents and coats of arms are all elements of the story about the historical identity of Korčula as urban unit that because of its harmonious appearance is celebrated as an “ornament of the world”.