|About the museum:
The municipal and archaeological museum in Brod na Savi was founded in 1934, with founder Julije Hoffmann as first curator. In 1954 it changed its title to the Museum of Brodsko Posavlje. The museum meant the creation of the foundations for more important institutions in culture and learning in the city and the county: the Municipal Library, State Archives in Slavonski Brod, Fine Arts Gallery of Slavonski Brod, and the Croatian Institute for History’s branch for the history of Slavonia, Srijem and Baranya. Since 1997 the museum has been located in part of the museum and business centre (on about 1,000 square metres), where it has working and exhibition space, as well as spaces for the stores. The renovation of the heritage complex of the old city Magistrat or council chamber is under way, to house the permanent display. The whole of the museum material and documentation is distributed over the following departments: natural history, archaeology, ethnographic, culture and history, contemporary history and the gallery. In 1993 the preparation workshop was set up, a department for itself. The museum also has a valuable specialised and scientific library with more than 20,000 titles. The fundamental activity of the museum is the collection, keeping, study and presentation of the diverse cultural heritage of the city of Slavonski Brod and Brodsko Posavlje. The museum’s occasional publication Vijesti has been coming out since 1959.