|About the museum:
The museum was founded in 1877 at the initiative of Osijek merchant Josip Sedlaković, and was then called the Museum of the Free and Royal City of Osijek. For almost seventy years it was the only specialised institution for collecting, protecting and presenting the cultural heritage in Osijek. The first permanent display was opened in 1933, as the result of the 40-year work of Vjekoslav Celestin, BA, and the first guide to the permanent display was printed in 1940. The specialised publication of the museum, Osječki zbornik, started to come out from 1942. The museum has very often changed premises, but from 1945 has been located in the Fort in Osijek, where today it makes use of a number of facilities. Since 1994 it has had the status of a national level institution, and the role of owner has been taken over by the Republic of Croatia. Today the museum has a regular staff of 28, distributed over nine departments and subdepartments, a preparation workshop and the administrative and management division. According to the official records, the museum has almost 400,000 registered objects distributed over some 100 collections.