|About the museum:
The museum was founded, at the initiative of Umberto Girometta, in 1924. Until 1925 it was housed in the building of the Commune House, after which it was transferred to the building on the first peak of Marjan, in which it was opened on April 5, 1926, together with the Zoological Garden. The museum was on show in the Marjan building until 1991, when, because of its ruinous condition, it was closed to visitors. While it was working on Marjan, the permanent display was changed twice. After two moves, in 2001 the museum obtained its current quarters, in which it started working in January 2002. During the past six years several different thematic exhibitions have been put on and the interim permanent display of the Bakotić Family Shell Collection was opened. Preparations for the creation of the permanent display are underway.