|About the museum:
The first initiatives for the founding of a museum in Nova Gradiška are related to the 1940s and Count Aleksandar Kulmer who offered part of his family’s assets as stimulus for the foundation of the museum. But as this did not succeed, an new impetus had to come in 1941, when Sava pl. Špišić gave the city a valuable collection of arms. In 1952 the People’s Committee of Nova Gradiška passed a Conclusion on the foundation of museum collection, the aim being to collect and look after cultural material from the area of the then District of Nova Gradiška. The museum collection was open to the public on two occasions, but only for a short time. A local museum was finally founded in 1971, but no later than 1972 new circumstances led to the integration of the newly-founded museum with the adult education centre of Nova Gradiška, in which it was to remain until 1999, when the municipal authority of Nova Gradiška, pursuant to the obligations laid down in the Museums Law hived the local museum and the Kerdić Gallery off from the educational institution and founded the independent institution Nova Gradiška Municipal Museum. In 1978 the museum had been given the building in which it is located today, one of the oldest buildings in town, located in a protected historical unit. The museum comprises four departments: archaeological, ethnological, cultural history and gallery, as well as a library with holdings of about 11,500 books. A new permanent display for the museum is currently being created, one that will display the cultural heritage of Nova Gradiška and its environs.