|About the museum:
The Nehaj Fortress is the symbol of the town of Senj. It is located on Trbušnjak Hill, which is named after the town that rests on its eastern slope. The fortress was built in the 16th century from material that was taken from the ruins of churches, monasteries, and houses that were located outside the city walls. The Uskoks used the fortress as their stronghold when defending the town and preparing attacks against the Turks and the Venetians.
A cistern, or water well, is located inside the fortress. Three coats of arms can be observed above the well: the coat of arms of the captain and general of the Croatian Military Border, Ivan Lenković, under whose supervision the fortress was built in 1558; the coat of arms of the Archduke of Gradac who was also the ruler of Senj; and the coat of arms of the captain who succeeded Lenković.
The ground floor of the fortress housed a fireplace in the centre with rooms for men and weapons around it. The foundations of the small Early Romanesque Church of St. George (11th c.) can also be observed on the ground floor. Rooms for the officers and commanders of the fortress were located on the first floor. The second floor housed a battery of 11 heavy cannons; today it provides space for cultural and musical events, scientific conferences, and other cultural happenings. The top of the fortress is used as a belvedere.
The Nehaj Fortress houses a collection entitled The Uskoks of Senj and the Senj Captains of the Coast and the following exhibitions: The Churches of Senj through History; The Coats of Arms of the Town and the Noblemen of Senj; and The Nehaj Fortress 1558 – 2008.