|About the museum:
Split Municipal Museum has since 1950 been located in the Papalić Palace inside Diocletian’s Palace. The museum assembles, preserves and presents the material and spiritual past of the city of Split since the most ancient times and up to the 20th century. The museum was founded in 1946, when it was located in the Bernardi Palace, while the germs of the museum go back to the second half of the 19th century and the Municipal Library (today the University Library). From 1984 the general repair, renovation and extension of the museum complex was conducted, finishing in 1992, when for the first time in its history the museum opened up the whole of its display to the public. The working space with workshops, library and stores is on the whole in the western part of the complex. The restoration workshops are engaged on objects from the museum collections. The institution possesses a library, mainly with holdings concerning Split and Dalmatia that, apart from to museum staff is also accessible to some outside readers. The premises for occasional exhibitions are in the ground floor of the complex. Part of the space inside the palace has a special entry into the courtyard and Papalićeva ulica, while the Gallery, located in the western part, enables communication with Dioklecijanova ulica. Another part of the museum is the Vidović Gallery, located on Poljana kraljica Jelena by the Silver Gate, dedicated to the most important painter from Split and one of the best known representatives of Croatian modern painting.