|About the museum:
The Museum of the Valopovo Region possesses a valuable collection from the estate of the aristocratic Prandau-Normann family. This family was in possession of the palace or fort from 1721 to 1945. During these two and a half centuries it set its mark on the cultural life of Valpovo and Slavonia. The heirlooms cover not only valuable objects but also the contribution made to life and culture as a whole (theatrical performances 200 years ago, the cultivation of exotic plants in the grounds in front of the palace, today a small arboretum with 141 plant species, the cultivation of citrus fruits in the greenhouse before WWI and their export to Vienna, the composing work of Baron Gustav Prandau, the grand library, the hunting, foundation of the first voluntary fire brigade, and patronage of it). The museum was founded in 1956. The permanent display was closed during the events of the war, and the material was put away. A new permanent display is in preparation. Visitors are offered a guided tour of the castle and the estate. In front of the castle are the grounds, now the arboretum, outbuildings and Zvjerinjak [menagerie] Forest – the chase of the estate. The castle includes a 14th century tower, ascended by a winding staircase, providing a lovely view of the entire landscape. The Baroque chapel with its old organ is today a concert hall.