|About the museum:
The Zadar Regional Museum is a complex and universal museum, founded in December 1962 through the merger of four independent museum-gallery institutions, all today departments of the museum: the ethnology and natural history departments, the Zadar city museum, and the Art Gallery. The natural history department is the successor of the oldest natural history museum in our area, coming into being in 1905. It bases its specialised work on the assembly, study and exhibition of flora and fauna from the general area of Zadar. It supplements its holdings with the collection of material in the field and with purchases and donations; in exhibitions it presents varying themes from ecology and conservation areas. It is located in the complex of the Providore’s Palace. The ethnographic department was founded in 1945 and was opened to the public in 1950 in the City Watch. Apart from its basic museum mission, which it realises through collecting, preserving and researching into the traditional heritage of the Dinaride and Adriatic cultural sphere, the objective of the department is through various museum activities (such as exhibitions and workshops) to become an active promoter of the traditional identity of the Zadar region. The fine arts gallery was the first public gallery institution in Zadar, opened in 1948 in part of the Providore’s Palace. Its primary task is to exhibit works in such a way as to track the development of the art scenes in Croatia and Zadar. Its trademark is the international photograph triennial Man and the Sea and the Blue Salon painting triennial. The Zadar City Museum department was formed in 1960, its objective being to assemble, keep and present the cultural history heritage of the city from the 12th century to the present day.